The Clinton County History Center building was a home purchased by German immigrant and businessman Matthew and Catherine K. Rombach in 1855. It had been built in 1835 by Robert Wickersham. Their only daughter Louise in 1856 married Gen. James W.…

The Wilmington Commercial Historic District is centered at Main and South Streets, and is bounded roughly by Columbus, Walnut, Sugartree, and Mulberry Streets.

Dr. Kelley Hale (1884-1959) opened the first hospital in a large house in Wilmington in 1914, and in 1923 he built this first modern hospital building. It was replaced by the Clinton Memorial Hospital. His son, Dr. Nathan Hale (1917-2002),…

Lytle’s Creek meeting was established in 1817. Three acres were donated by Richard Fallis for a meetinghouse, burial ground, and school. The first Monthly Meetings of Springfield Meeting were held jointly with Lytle’s Creek, alternating monthly. In…

A typical “I” house of the late 19th Century, this farm has been owned by Quaker families Moore, McMillan, Linn, and now Speaight. There is a farm equipment sales center adjacent which markets fresh eggs. The frame of the old Lytle Creek Meeting…

Alice Hale (1865-1945) was the daughter of Alfred and Rachel Hadley Hale and the great-granddaughter of pioneer Quaker settlers Jacob and Martha Harvey Hale. In 1890 she married E. Marshall Renner from Clermont County and had two sons. The 1915…

The Maden (or Madden) family was among the earliest settlers in the Springfield Meeting community, purchasing over 400 acres of Survey #2371 just east of the Harvey settlement. George Maden (1759-1823) was born near Philadelphia and lived in North…

William Hale (1835-1920) was a grandson of original Quaker settlers Jacob and Martha Harvey Hale, and had a large farm and livestock business. He was the grandfather of Dr. Kelley Hale, who founded the first hospital in Wilmington. The house now has…

Along Todds Fork is an organic farm run by a Quaker family. They sell to the local market, and have (in season) organic produce and flowers in a small, cooled market house. There are fields and high hoops on both sides of the river. Stop and shop!