Dover Friends Meetinghouse (1845) and Burial Ground

Walk around the building and cemetery, looking for the bench made from the original stone steps, and the graves of Nantucket Quaker Whaler Hezekiah Starbuck and his descendants, as well as other Quaker pioneers.

Four Quaker families moving from the south by way of Tennessee settled in this area and began worshipping in the home of Ezekiel Frazier before about 1805. As the Quaker population grew, land was purchased, and a log Meeting House was erected with a burial ground. Center Meeting set off Dover Monthly Meeting in 1824.

The brick Meeting House standing now was built in 1845. This one is of the typical Quaker Meetinghouse architecture of the 18th and 19th centuries in America. The building is rectangular, about twice as wide as it is deep. There are two doors on the front, and a partition in the center of the room could be lowered or raised to create two equal meeting rooms for the Monthly Meetings—one for the women and one for the men. It was remodeled into one room with a platform about 1900.

The Dover Friends Meeting School was replaced by a public school when the public education system was established in Ohio. This public school building #10 was built in 1883. When it was abandoned, Dover Meeting purchased it for use a social room. It now is used for storage.

Images

Map

257 Dover Road, Wilmington, OH 45177