Clinton County History Center – Rombach Place Museum

Check for open hours - call (937) 382-4684 or visit clintoncountyhistory.org

The Clinton County History Center building was a home purchased by German immigrant and businessman Matthew and Catherine K. Rombach in 1855. It had been built in 1835 by Robert Wickersham. Their only daughter Louise in 1856 married Gen. James W. Denver, and they kept their permanent family residence here, although his military and political career and law practice took him as far as California and Washington DC. The city of Denver Colorado is named for him!

Their descendants sold the house and furnishings in 1955 to the Clinton County Historical Society. Today, the building has been expanded and houses the Clinton County Historical Society and the Library of the Clinton County Genealogical Society. Among its outstanding collections are the works of Eli Harvey and the Native American photographs of Carl Moon. One of the many Quaker artifacts on display is the Hadley Abolitionist Quilt, made in the 1840s by Rebecca Harvey Hadley, her daughters and other Quaker women.

Images

Map

149 E Locust St, Wilmington, OH 45177