Elizabeth Harvey Free Negro School

Elizabeth Burgess Harvey (1801-1888), wife of Dr. Jesse Harvey, opened this school for free black children in 1831. The students were from local free black families, plus some children sent here by their plantation owner fathers. Some of the students went on to college and became leaders. The school existed here until 1909, after which the building became a private home. It has been partially restored and is now the Harveysburg Historical Society Museum.



23 North Street, Harveysburg, OH 45068